Friday, May 23, 2008

Jealousy

Jealousy is the hunger
when I can't reach the apple on the tree
Jealousy is the thirst
when I know I must go to bed without water
and I see you feasting on apples
and I see you drink of the clear stream
this hunger is growing at me from inside, consuming me
this thirst is making me a dry, shrivelled pea
it's making be bitter and morbid
I avert my gaze, I cannot look
cannot see you feasting merrily
Once upon a time I had all I could want
of apples and cold water
I like you, you're nice, and lovable and cute
I wish all good, no harm for you
Only...
I so wish I could have red apples and cold water.

March 2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved this one. Was poignant and had so much character. The lines open up layer after layer of the poem which is amazing.