Sunday, January 28, 2018

Six Seasons Review #I Love You Better Than I Know How To Write Poems

'I Love You Better Than I Know How To Write Poems' was published in Six Seasons Review, November 2017 issue.


I love you better than I know how to write poems

I tried to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees
but I am not Neruda and when I speak
of morning suns and birds and the wind in the trees
it feels like I have marbles in my mouth
like I have three legs instead of two
the notes fall flat and tuneless and off scale like jarring clichés
but that is not the way I love you, the way I love you is not a cliché
I can think of beautiful poem endings
but no beginnings nor middles
every pore in my body has dried up longing for you
it has learnt how to ache patiently
but sometimes it forgets and it aches madly, desperately
and then I must learn to be still and more patient
I try to do with myself what spring does with the cherry trees
I love you because I know that I cannot live and not love you
I love you better than I know how to write poems
but I wanted this poem to be better than the way I love you
I could disappear and become only a voice
a voice that surrenders itself entirely to you.

No comments: