Tuesday, June 14, 2016

'Hobbies, and the meaning of life' --- sharing an article I loved

Although I don't usually "share" other people's writings on this blog, here is a piece I read yesterday which raised so many questions that I myself so often struggle with, ponder over. Why do we have our hobbies, passions, and "hobby-horses" which are utterly useless and unproductive, and which, are a mark of our elite bourgeois status which offers us the leisure time essential for our "hobby-horses". The piece discusses all these questions, and also tries to see how our passions can form voices of dissent and make us into better people. Okay, no more. Please please please read this. Suffice it to say that I find this piece amazing and would like to share it here, breaking the general rule. The "hobby" of the writer is bird-watching. From here he begins and goes on to questioning the nature, use and importance of our "hobby-horses".

'Hobbies, and the meaning of life'

Click here.


No comments: