Monday, November 30, 2020

Three poems in CultureCult, September 2019

 Hello folks, 


so these three poems got published in a print anthology called Culture Cult in the 'Nocturne' issue edited by Jay Chakravarti in September last year. Here you go! 


Exile : An Ode to My Happy Place 

 

It is a wound, ceaselessly burning, that no medicine can ever heal.

You cannot speak about it in the first person. I tried. I couldn’t. 

It is in my bloodstream. It is in my silences when I look away. It is in my hot secret tears. It is rarely in my speech.

Sometimes I try to distance it while speaking, jocularly, like a face painted masked clown at the circus

Because how else do I speak that which is too intimate for speech

That with which my pulse and heartbeat throbs night and day

That which is tattooed on my heart skin soul with indelible ink

That which I live in my dreams when I cannot in reality 

That which is mine, with me always, no matter how far away I am from it

That which I always hold magical memories of, 

No matter how bitter the hurt, how devastating the grief

O beautiful wondrous place, you are precious, you are loved 

You are mine, you are forever home.  

 

 

Grief

 

It is a thin, translucent lining

Wrapping itself around various

Organs. It forms the inner lining

Of the gut, of the colon, it covers

The limbs and the breasts. It thickens

Around the heart like a protecting wall.

At the corners of the eyes, it dissolves

Into tear drops. It pains at the joints,

like rheumatism. It is delicate

as spiderweb, and is easily perforated.

Sword-words are fatal. Dealt with such weapons

It shudders, shakes and violently trembles

Threatening to collapse and turn you into

Non-being. Even pin-prick words and

Hasty clumsy words can be fatal.

The membrane is fragile, and needs

Special care in a hospital. Rough and rude

Knocks produce agitations. The membrane

Of grief is tired of being perforated.

It wants a sterilized space to recuperate.

The membrane will become a wall.

The membrane will not allow

Perforations. The membrane

Will close into itself like a field

That lies fallow. The membrane will stop

Trying to interact with beings

In outer space. The membrane

Will preserve itself like pickle or jelly.

It will learn (regardless of the pain) the art

Of wearing masks, which come undone

Only in solitude.

 

 

 My Anger is Rising Like the Brahmaputra 

 

My anger is rising like the swelling Brahmaputra in Assam

Flooding its banks, drowning, destroying everything in sight 

My anger is like the bloody sunset on the river 

Glorious, ferocious, burning, sinking only to rise again 

Nature’s fury is as merciless as man’s against nature. 

 

My anger is rising like the swelling Brahmaputra in Assam

Anger at politicians touring luxury Assamese resorts

While commoners, sighing dying, make another trip, Pay lives as cost 

Angry that those with fake histories and forged marksheets

Serve protesting Miya poets with chargesheets 

Those with fake qualifications and degrees

Expect the precarious poor to produce proof for NRC 

Angry that parents kill their own children 

For the honour of a girl or an inter caste union 

Angry that sewers reveal dead Dalit body parts 

We have reached the moon but not their hearts 

Once, we had unity in diversity 

Today, hearts divided, only relics of unity

 

My anger is rising like the swelling Brahmaputra in Assam 

Temples of solid gold, opulent towers, masterpieces 

Farmers dying, children starving, death in the gutter, death in the penis 

Angry that little children die crying for food

that rapists go scot free and girls are abused

Angry that workers are humiliated with cruelty

When corporates are culprits, criminals with impunity 

Angry that lakhs of mangroves are cut down 

For a new metro station, or a tinsel town 

Angry that we learnt of lynchings from Alice Walker

Today’s children must cry “Oh no! Not another!” 

Angry that cows and people alike are used as pawns

For evil machinations with no sign of a dawn 

 

My anger is rising like the swelling Brahmaputra in Assam 

With the force of Kerala’s floods, Chennai’s tsunami and Odisha’sFani

Like a dancing serpent raising his hood

As my anger reaches epic proportions 

This poem remains castrated, impotent, no promise of fruition 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments: